treasure pocket shorts

Image

These treasure pocket shorts are the first pair of pants I’ve made.  The pattern is from Sewing for Boys.  Overall, I love how these turned out. My son loves the pockets. The pattern is a little bit complicated, so I felt like a skilled pant-maker when they were complete (which, of course, I am not). Since I made these, I’ve made 2 pairs of pants using the simple and free pattern from Dana Made It.  Doing a combination of complicated and simple patterns helps me think about possibilities for creating my own pattern.

I used left over fabric from the scavenger bag project, which I bought at a local discount fabric store.  I cut the fabric months ago, but I didn’t start the project for a while for 2 reasons.  First, the pattern called for single folded bias tape and I couldn’t find it anywhere.  Eventually, someone at the local boutique fabric store, Spool, told me that I could just press my two fold bias tape so that it just had one fold.  I could have also made my own.  Because I’m new to all this, I had no idea what single fold bias tape would look like or how to make it.

After the bias tape problem was solved, I was intimidated by the first step in the instructions. I couldn’t understand how I was supposed to sew the bias tape to the pocket front. Luckily, I found a sew-along from one of the Sewing for Boys authors.  It was really helpful!  I also learned from the book website that I needed to cut a new pattern piece because of an error in the book.

I’m looking forward to making a pant version of these.  I love planning contrasting fabric combinations!

Advertisements

Art Satchel

Image

Another sewing project from Growing Up Sew Liberated. I made this art satchel for my niece’s third birthday.  I was going to make one for my son, but I don’t think it’s quite right for our lifestyle.  It’s a little bit unwieldy — it’s perfect for a suburban kid that spends a lot of time in the backyard.  Since we live in the city, we usually walk or ride our bikes to the park to draw. This would be a little too big to carry with us.Image

I used Jessica Jones Outside Oslo fabric, which I bought at Crafty Planet during a visit to Minneapolis.  I love that store.  I think I was in there for at least an hour before I chose the fabric.  Saj and Scott were napping in the car.  I’m so indecisive.  And fabric stores exacerbate this character trait!

I used 1/4 inch masonite to create the hard surface of the satchel.  The pattern calls for plexiglass, but my local plastic shop wanted to charge me $10 per piece, or $20 total.  That’s more than I wanted to spend on this.  I already splurged a bit on the fabric. We had some masonite left over from a renovation project.  I think it might actually be lighter than the plexi.

I stitched my niece’s name in the fabric using a chain stitch.  This is my first needlework project.

Image

I chose a font and typed her name in Illustrator.  Of course, any program would work.   I just liked that I could determine the size of the letters (in inches) in Illustrator.  Then I traced the letters on a piece of tracing paper. I pinned the tracing paper to the fabric and I stitched right through the letters. I think I saw Rebecca Rinquist‘s students stitchng through paper at Squam.  This is how it turned out.Image