After living in Portland for a few months, my husband had grown a Portland-appropriate beard. He thought it was about time that he had a vest. I offered to make him one using the Denali pattern from the Seamwork magazine. He loves how it came out. So do I!
If it were up to me, I probably would have chosen a more subtle color combination.But, my husband, who wears gray 90% of the time, wanted something less boring.
I traced the pattern (size L) with Swedish tracing paper and did tissue fitting. I added 2 inches in length. I took it in 1/2 inch under the arm on back and front pieces and scaled to zero at the notches. It fits perfectly at the chest. He thought it could be a little snugger at the waist, but I think the little bit of room makes it easier to sit without unsnapping.
I used gray wool felt, navy water resistant canvas, and mustard corduroy, all from fabric. com. I quilted the canvas with wool batting. I used non symmetrical pattern that was inspired by a nau jacket. You can’t tell, but I really like how the quilting turned out. I think I have more quilted clothing in my future.
This is my sleeveless Painted Portrait blouse. Oh, I love this pattern! I really like the neckline and the the yoke in the front. It has side panels that create a great fit at the bust without darts. It’s great for a lightweight fabric. I used polka-dot cotton lawn for this one. The only thing that’s a bit challenging with this pattern is that it has quite a bit of hand sewing at the end.
I’m not that great at hand sewing, so I don’t really enjoy doing it. The whole time I think “hmmm…is this going to hold in the wash?” That’s pretty sad. I’m looking for ways to get better. Also, spending time hand sewing means that it takes me even longer to finish a garment. I have so little time to sew right now – with a 4 year old a 4 month old and a dissertation to write. Nonetheless, I’ve made 4 iterations of this pattern. My favorite is my painted portrait dress with an African wax yoke. I’ll post that one soon.
I know it’s spring. And spring is not usually the time to make and wear flannel dresses. Continue reading
This is the second part of S’s wedding outfit. I enjoyed my little brother’s wedding so much that I forgot to take a good photo! This is the best one I have.
I made MImi’s Suspender Shorts from Sewing for Boys. It was so new to sewing that I didn’t realize that I had to finish the seams. It’s pretty ugly inside. The wedding was at the very end of last summer, and he only wore it this one time. Maybe I’ll retrospectively serge the seam allowances. It might still fit this summer, though I’m not sure when he’ll want to wear suspenders.
I found the tie pattern here. I’m happy that I made a real tie instead of a clip on. Once it’s tied, it stays on well. S. loved it too. He likes to wear the tie to school. I had to watch this video REPEATEDLY while tying the tie. I don’t know if I’m slow, but I couldn’t do it without simultaneously watching the video.
I love this jacket. Too bad it was only worn for 90 seconds and may never be worn again! I made it for S to wear to my brother’s summer wedding. It’s linen with cotton lawn lining. As a sewing newbie, this project made me less afraid of jackets and linings.
I made a muslin that I plan to dye with an ombre effect. Should be a fun outdoor activity to do with S when it gets warm.
Pattern is the out on the town jacket from Sewing for Boys. The fabric is from Denver Fabrics.
The shape of this dress is so flattering. I made a bust adjustment following these directions. I added 1/4 inch to each side of the front and back pattern pieces.
The gathers in the front aren’t perfect. Attaching the corners of the inset to the front was the hardest part. One day, I won’t be so intimidated by those gathers!